Welcome to Personio. In this article, we explain how you can log on to Personio for the first time and perform essential functions within the application.
Activate your Personio Account
To activate your Personio account, first click on the link in the activation email we sent you. Register with your email address and set your personal password.
Your password needs to meet the following requirements:
Once you have completed the activation, your browser takes you to the Home area of your Personio account. Use the Personio login screen to log in again by entering your email address and the password you just configured.
Your login URL is: myaccount.personio.de
Overview of Functions
Read on for a brief description of the main functions in Personio.
The scope of functionalities available in your Personio account will depend on your access rights and the functionalities used by your company. The following elements may therefore look different from your personal profile.
Your Home Area
Once you have logged on, you'll be taken to your Home area. Alternatively, click Home to navigate to your home screen in your Personio account.
The Tasks widget provides you with an overview of all pending to-dos. You can manage some Tasks directly in the widget. To access your reminders, click on Reminders to open your Inbox.
The All approvals widget shows all pending requests for approvals (attendances and absences, absence certificates and employee data).
Today's time tracking
The Today's time tracking widget allows you to quickly and efficiently enter work and break times without having to navigate to the Attendance tab in your profile.
▶︎ You can only write complete entries. If you wish to enter your time partially, it is only possible to do so in the Attendance tab.
▶︎ If break rules have been specified, you will see a warning if insufficient breaks have been entered.
▶︎ In case overtime and deficit hours are enabled, the tracked time will be marked purple and indicated by a clock symbol.
▶︎ The widget only allows you to add work and break times. Project times and comments can only be added in the Attendance tab.
To adjust your Personal Settings, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner, and select Personal settings. Here, you can do the following:
- Select your Language preference. Personio is currently available in German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Dutch.
- Click on Notifications to choose whether you would like to receive reminders in your Inbox only or also via email. We recommend that you activate email notifications.
- Under Reminders, you will find a list of all reminders which have been predefined for you. Here you can also store additional reminders.
- Under Email, you can create and save your personal signature, which you need if you are involved in your company’s recruiting processes. Learn more about Setting Up an Email Signature.
You can access your profile directly from My profile in the sidebar. Alternatively, you can access your profile via your profile image in the top right of the screen: Click on the image and then on My profile to access an overview of all functions available from your employee profile.
Upload a Profile Picture
Start personalizing your profile by uploading a profile picture. Click on the avatar and select a photo, then click on Upload to save your profile picture.
The Personal info section in My profile contains your personal and employee data. Depending on your access rights, you may be able to propose, edit or schedule changes here.
Click on Salary in your employee profile to access an overview of the components that make up your current salary. Click on Salary Details to see a history of your salary changes.
Depending on your access rights, you may be able to upload personal documents to the Documents section within your employee profile and access documents stored there. These include contracts, references and absence or other certificates, for example.
Your company may also have decided to file your payslips in the Payroll category.
In the Attendance tab, you can get an overview of your working hours, overtime and deficit hours if they have been recorded, as well as your working days and weekly hours. You can record attendance in the monthly overview. To do so, click on a day to enter the start and end times of your working day, as well as the length of any breaks. You can also optionally assign the attendance to a project or add a comment.
- If break rules have been specified, an orange warning triangle will indicate any insufficient breaks. You will see a purple clock icon if there are any overtime or deficit hours.
- If an attendance has been entered but is marked as Pending, it still needs to be approved. Approved attendances are marked as Approved, while rejected entries are shown as Declined. You can edit declined attendances and resubmit them for approval.
- Tracked time for whole working days can also be copied to other days within the same month. Simply hover over the cell for a pending or an approved day in the calendar, and click on the Copy hours icon located in the top-right corner.
- In the pop-up window, either select Working days from my work schedule to copy to all days of the month or Specific days of the week to copy only to selected weekdays for the whole month. You also have the option to copy comments and projects. Once you have confirmed your selection, a new entry will be created for each chosen day.
Hours cannot be copied to public Holidays, days with approved absences and days with other time tracked.
To view or request absences, follow these steps:
- Go to My profile > Absence to view your absence balances, such as your paid vacation entitlements.
- Use the Add absence period function or select absence days directly in the calendar to request absences.
- Next, select the correct absence type such as Paid vacation, the specific absence period and a substitute as internally agreed (if applicable).
- You can optionally add a comment to your request.
- Click on Request to submit your absence request.
Once a request has been approved, your absence balance is updated, and you receive an email confirmation. The Absence tab also shows any accruals carried over from the previous year, your absence entitlements from the current year, the total of absence days already taken and planned during the current year, and the total absence days available in the current year.
If an absence certificate is required for a particular absence after a specified number of days, such as for sick leave, Personio requests the certificate both from within the application and via email. Click on Upload certificate to upload a certificate. Once uploaded, the document can be found in the Documents tab in the Certificates category.
If you need to change or delete future absences which have already been approved, this is easily done in the calendar view. Click on the absence period you wish to change and adjust the start and end dates, or delete the entire period. Any change you make triggers another approval process and will therefore only be shown in your account once it has been confirmed.
This section refers to the Goals feature in the Performance tab of the employee profile, which will be discontinued on the 31st of December 2022. By the same date, a new, improved Goals feature will be available to all customers with the Performance & Development package.
The Performance section in your employee profile provides you with an overview of all feedback, performance meetings and goals for the current period. Clicking on an entry allows you to view additional information such as the content of the feedback, the details of the meeting or the description of the goals.
To write and publish feedback, you need edit rights for the performance section.
The Onboarding section in your employee profile contains all the tasks which you need to complete as a new employee, depending on your access privileges. The due dates indicate the deadlines for the various tasks you have pending. Personio sends emails and additionally creates to-dos on your home screen to remind you of pending onboarding processes.
The Notes section in your employee profile allows you to store personal notes and reminders in your Personio account.
employees also need to at least have view rights for the Manage accounts section to access reminders.
Finally, Personio provides an overview of the Calendars integrated into the software. To access the calendar, click on Calendars in the sidebar menu. There are two different views available, the Absence Timeline, and the Events Calendar.
The Absence Timeline shows an overview of all absences you are permitted to see. You can apply various filters to this view, for example to select by absence type, department, office or subcompany.
The Events Calendar shows the following:
- Interview and feedback meetings you are invited to.
- Your personal reminders and birthdays.
- Public holidays at your office.
Click on the other calendars available for viewing to have the respective entries displayed in the calendar overview. Use the filter function to again have the calendar displayed for individual subcompanies, offices, departments, or teams.
Use the iCAL function to integrate the calendar with an external application, such as a Google or Outlook calendar. To do this, click on the export button and select the calendar(s) you wish to integrate into your own calendar. If you like, you can filter the iCAL calendar by a selected department. Next, select the link that has just been generated and embed it in your external calendar. Learn how to Integrate the Personio Calendar via an iCal Link.