This article explains how to integrate Microsoft (MS) Teams with Personio. Once connected, you can:
- Receive Personio-related updates in MS Teams about things like Absences, Birthdays, Company anniversaries, and new employees.
- Request absences directly in MS Teams.
You will get an overview of the requirements and instructions to install the integration with the Personio employee data API.
MS Teams is the Microsoft collaboration tool for companies and their employees. Integrating MS Teams with Personio allows for information to be shared in Teams channels for predefined departments, teams, and offices. With this integration, a daily update is published in MS Teams on today's:
- Employee absences and when the employees will be back at work
- Anniversaries in a company
- New employees
An employee can also request absences directly in MS Teams, specifying the following:
- Type of absence
- Scope of the first and last day (full or half-day)
- Substitute during their absence
- Duration of the absence
Note: Hourly absences are not considered by the integration.
Pre-requisites for a successful integration
Before integrating MS Teams, ensure the following is in place:
- You have an Administrator role or editing rights for the Marketplace in Personio via Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights > Account configuration > Marketplace Integration.
- You have a Microsoft Global Administrator role. The MS Teams Administrator role is not sufficient.
- The Tray.io, Inc checkbox is activated via Settings > Support > Plan & Billing > Data Protection Information.
Connect and authenticate MS Teams
Set up the MS Teams integration directly in Personio's Marketplace with the Configuration Wizard. This requires you to grant Personio permission to access your MS Teams workspace. Follow these steps:
- Go to Marketplace in Personio, then search for and select the MS Teams integration.
- Click Connect to open the Configuration Wizard.
- Click Authenticate MS Teams.
- Enable Personio to authenticate MS Teams and ask permission from the MS Teams administrator or owner. Click Continue.
You need to complete all four steps detailed below to set up the integration.
Step two of the Configuration Wizard requires you to grant MS Teams access to the necessary Personio data. Follow these steps:
- Review the permissions that MS Teams requires.
- Click Next to continue.
Personio allows the MS Teams integration to read the following system attributes:
- First name
- Last name
- Termination date
- Hire date
Step three of the Configuration Wizard requires that you select which teams need channels mapped.
- From the Select Teams drop-down menu, select the teams for which you wish to map channels.
- To add a new attribute, click Add new attribute.
- Click Next to continue.
Manage channel updates
The last step of the Configuration Wizard requires you to define the channel update settings. Follow these steps:
- Under Language of updates, select the language of the channel updates.
- Under Time of update, select the time of the channel updates. Events that take place on a weekend are not transmitted to MS Teams.
- Choose which events, for example employee absences or birthdays, you wish to include in your daily update message.
- Under MS Teams channel, select the relevant channel in MS Teams. To add a new attribute, click Add new attribute.
- Under Personio, select the relevant organizational unit (for example, the department or team).
When mapping attributes, you can select either a public or a private team in MS Teams. Daily channel updates must be sent to a public MS Teams channel.
- To activate the MS Teams integration, click Finish.
From the Personio Marketplace, you can edit the mapped attributes at any time or deactivate the integration.
For more information on Personio Marketplace, read our Help Center article Personio Marketplace.
Absence workflows with MS Teams
Daily update from Personio in MS Teams channel
Read the previously created automatic daily update from Personio in an MS Teams channel. Under each subject (for example Out Today), the summarized employee data can be read at a glance.
Request an absence using the Personio app in MS Teams
An employee can easily request daily absences using the Personio application in MS Teams by following these steps:
- Click the Personio application in MS Teams.
- Type request absence.
- Fill in the form, adding the type of absence and duration.
- Click Next step.
- Choose substitute if required.
The feature only supports daily absences, hourly absence requests are unavailable.
To find out more about what absence request management is in Personio and how you can automate it with integrations, read our Help Center article Absence Request Workflow Management.