This article explains how to set up the Slack integration with Personio. Once connected, you can:
- Receive Personio-related updates in Slack channels.
- Set up automatic updates to your Slack status for absences.
- Request absences directly in Slack.
You will get an overview of all the requirements and instructions to install the integration with the Personio employee data API.
Channel updates, automated status updates, and absence request functionalities can only be applied for internal employees.
Channel updates can be transmitted to various (public) Slack channels based on teams, departments, or offices. The updates include the following:
- Who is absent today and until when?
- Who has a birthday today?
- Which employees have their first day in our company today?
- Which employees have a work anniversary today?
You can transmit these updates via an automatic Slack message which is sent to the selected channel, and choose the group of employees that will receive them. If you do not use teams in Personio, you can select groups of employees per department. If you do not use departments, you can differentiate employees by offices and assign them to Slack channels on this basis.
Automated status update
This feature allows you to have your status automatically updated based on your absences. You can define whether the absence type (e.g. paid or sick leave) should be included in the status or not.
The following emojis will be displayed, linked to their respective status:
🌴 : Paid Vacation
🤒 : Sick leave
❌ : All other absence types, apart from remote work
🏡: Remote work (The emoji is only displayed if you tick yes for "View the reason for absence in status message" when you set up the status update functionality. If you do not enable this, the remote work absence type will not show any emoji.)
The automated status update feature is only available if you use a paid Slack account.
Request an absence
Use Slack to request daily absences directly in the text box of a channel or direct message. Type "/personio" in Slack to launch the Personio App. Follow these steps:
- Type "/personio" and click Enter to activate the Personio App.
- Click Request absence.
- Select the type of absence, define the start and end date, and submit.
Once the submission is successful, you see a summary of your request.
The feature only supports daily absences, hourly absence requests are unavailable.
Pre-requisites for a successful integration
Before integrating Slack, ensure the following is in place:
- You have an admin role or editing rights for the Marketplace in Personio via Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights > Account configuration > Marketplace integration.
- You have administrator or owner rights for your Slack workspace.
- The Tray.io, Inc checkbox is activated via Settings > Support > Plan & Billing > Data Protection Information.
Connect and authenticate Slack
Set up the Slack integration directly in Personio's Marketplace with the Configuration Wizard. This requires you to grant Personio permission to access your Slack workspace. Follow these steps:
- Go to Marketplace in Personio, then search for and select the Slack integration.
- Click Connect to open the Configuration Wizard.
- Click Authenticate Slack.
- A new Slack window opens. Sign in to your workspace, and click Allow to grant Personio access and continue the installation.
- Return to the Configuration Wizard in Personio and click Continue.
Step two of the Configuration Wizard requires you to grant Slack access to the necessary Personio data. Follow these steps:
- Review the permissions that Slack requires.
- Click Next to continue.
Personio allows the Slack integration to read the following system attributes:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Hire Date
- Termination Date
To identify each user, each employees' email address in Personio has to be the same as that used in Slack.
Manage channel updates
Define the channel update settings in step three of the Configuration Wizard. Follow these steps:
- Choose the language for updates.
- Select the time of the updates.
- Choose the elements that are included in the daily update message. The available options are absences, birthdays, company anniversaries, and new employees.
- Select the channels in which the update will appear. You can only send the daily channel updates to public Slack channels. Employees of specific teams, departments, and offices can be assigned to the respective Slack channels. To add more channels and groups, click Add new attribute.
- Optional: if you would like the updates to appear in a read-only channel, ensure that the Personio app has posting permissions. Learn how to manage channel posting permission in Slack.
- Click Next to continue.
▶︎ Slack updates are always sent in Central European Time (UTC+1). This means that if you have selected the UTC timezone in Personio and you set the time of the update at 8 a.m., the update will be sent at 7 a.m. your time.
▶︎ If the event is on a weekend, it will not be transmitted to Slack.
Slack status updates
Define Slack status update settings in step four of the Configuration Wizard. Absences requested for the same day are transmitted as soon as they have been accepted. This ensures that colleagues can view absences that have come up at short notice, like sick leave. Follow these steps:
- Choose to activate automatic Slack status updates.
- Choose if the status should contain the absence type.
- Click Finish to complete the integration process.
You can edit the settings or deactivate the integration at any time.
To find out more about what absence request management is in Personio and how you can automate it with integrations, read our Help Center article Absence Request Workflow Management.