Note: This article refers to Performance notes. This functionality will be released at the end of February 2023.
This article provides an overview of the Performance & Development area in Personio.
To read more about Performance Management and how it can support the retention of talent, visit our website and read our Attraction Plus Whitepaper or take a look at our Performance Management Guide.
What is the Performance & Development area in Personio?
In the Performance & Development area in Personio, you can access comprehensive performance management and training management functionalities:
- Automated Performance Review Cycles: Create and trigger standardized performance review cycles across the organization using the Performance Review Cycle Builder and enable employees and supervisors to manage tasks such as creating, organizing and sending feedback autonomously.
- 360° Feedback (Upward, Peer, Manager and Self Reviews, Continuous feedback and Performance notes): Collect feedback from employees, peers, and supervisors across the organization for more balanced performance reviews and gain improved visibility of employee progress. Enable employees to complete self-reflections. Send feedback proactively to any employee in the organization. Record your thoughts about an employee's performance in notes that are not visible to the employee themselves.
- Centralized Training Management: Create training courses and training sessions, enroll employees in training sessions, and track employee attendance in one location.
- Centralized Goal Management: view, create and edit Goals for all employees in your organization.
To access the Performance & Development area, click on Performance & Development on the main navigation bar in Personio. Alternatively, go to Performance & Development > Feedback, Performance & Development > Cycles, Performance & Development > Training or Performance & Development > Goals.
Create and manage performance review cycles
Under Performance & Development > Cycles, Administrators, and employees with edit rights for cycles and cycle reviews can create new performance review cycles using the Performance Review Cycle Builder, and manage performance review cycles.
Supervisors can view and access all review cycles in which at least one of their direct reports is a participant.
View details for a specific performance review cycle
To view the details of a specific performance review cycle, go to Performance & Development > Cycles and then click on the name of the relevant review cycle. A table displays which shows the following review cycle details for each employee: the employee, the type of review, and the status of the review. Click the three dots to:
- see the employee's performance overview,
- request peer feedback, or
- remove the employee from the review cycle.
Under Performance & Development > Feedback, feedback is organized under the following tabs:
- To do: All the Self Reviews, Peer Reviews, Upward Reviews and Manager Reviews that are assigned to the reviewer for all review cycles are displayed here. These reviews have not been sent and are only visible to the reviewer. This tab also displays Continuous feedback drafts that the employee has not sent yet.
- About others: All the Peer Reviews, Upward Reviews and Manager Reviews that the reviewer has sent for all review cycles are displayed here. Continuous feedback that the employee has sent is also displayed here.
- About you: All the Self reviews, Peer Reviews, Upward Reviews and Manager Reviews that the employee has received from others for all review cycles are displayed here. Continuous feedback that the employee has received from others is also displayed here.
Depending on your role and access rights you can access the employee list on the left side of the Feedback section. In the list:
- Supervisors can see all continuous feedback shared with them and with their direct reports. They can also see all feedback received by their direct reports that is related to performance review cycles, and any performance notes written for their direct reports.
- Administrators and employees with edit rights for cycles and cycle reviews can view all reviews received by all employees in the organization.
- Administrators and employees with edit rights for continuous feedback and performance notes can see the continuous feedback received by all employees. They can also see the performance notes created for all employees in the organization, excluding themselves.
To learn more about edit and view access rights for performance review cycles, continuous feedback, and notes, see View and edit access in the Performance & Development area.
The training section in the Performance & Development area is open to all active employees, under Performance & Development > Training.
The section is comprised of three tabs: Course catalog, Planned courses and Training history.
Here, Administrators and employees with edit rights for the Training section in the Performance & Development area can access training management functionalities that make it easier to manage and organize training courses and sessions, and to track training sessions. They can:
▶︎ Add new training courses and training course sessions by clicking on Add a new training course. They can adjust training course details and training session details, including the name, date and time, and capacity of the relevant training session.
▶︎ Manage training courses and training course sessions. Specifically, they can do the following.
- View all training courses that have been added.
- View all training sessions that have been added to training courses.
- Add employees to and remove employees from training sessions.
- Open training sessions to self enrollment.
- Track employee attendance at training sessions.
- Delete training courses and training sessions.
The Course catalog is also available to all active employees. Here they can view all courses containing at least one session that is open to self enrollment. They can choose the sessions they want to join and sign up via the Sign up button.
This tab displays all upcoming courses and sessions that the employee has signed up to, or has been added to. If necessary, employees can select any session and cancel their attendance via the Cancel attendance button.
This tab displays a list of all past training courses and sessions that the employee has participated in.
Under Performance & Development > Goals, Personio offers the possibility to configure and manage performance goals for all employees in the organization. Here you can:
▶︎ Create and configure goals. For each goal you can define appropriate subgoals to measure progress.
▶︎ Link a goal to a salary bonus, and choose how to distribute the bonus between weighted subgoals.
▶︎ Comment on goals to ensure constant, transparent communication with your reports or your supervisor.
▶︎ See the complete history of a goal.
Depending on your role and access rights, you can access the employee list on the left-hand side of this section.
Using the list:
- supervisors can manage their own goals, and all goals that they have created for their reports;
- administrators and employees with edit rights for the Goals section of the Performance & Development area can view and edit goals for all the employees in the organization.
For more information on what goals you can view and edit depending on your role and access rights, see our article View and edit access in the Performance & Development area.
Set up the Performance & Development area
The following table provides a quick guide on what articles you must read to set up the different sections of the Performance & Development area.
|Prerequisites||To configure the Performance & Development area, you need edit rights for all its sections. Check the relevant section in our article on Access rights.|
|Set up - Feedback||
To learn how to create and manage performance review cycles, read:
Performance review cycles in Personio
How to manage a performance review cycle
To learn about the different review types available in cycles, read:
Employees can give feedback to anyone and at any time, outside of performance review cycles. To learn how to do it, read:
|Set up - Training||
To learn how to create training courses and sessions, read:
Add training courses and sessions in Personio
Invite participants to training sessions
Employees can also sign up for training sessions autonomously. To learn how to activate this feature and use it, read:
Self enrollment for training sessions
|Set up - Goals||
To learn how to configure goals and link them to salary bonuses, read:
Configure goals and subgoals in the Performance & Development area
Link a salary bonus to a goal in the Performance & Development area
Overview of Personio Subscriptions: Plans, Recruiting Options and Add-ons