This article explains how you can export important application data from Personio's Recruiting section in CSV format and then use it for your own analyses. You can also import the exported data into your internal data warehouse, for example. The export contains all of your candidates' system and custom attributes, the jobs they applied for, and all data collected during the recruiting process (for example when candidates proceeded to the next stage of the application pipeline).
You can also export application data via our different recruiting system reports.
To start the export, you need to have edit rights for the Recruiting section. You can assign these rights in Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights > Recruiting.
The application data export contains the following data:
- Candidate attributes: All system and custom attributes of candidates that have been configured in Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Attributes.
- Application attributes: Data on the application process (such as the application channel, application date, and disqualification reason).
- Stage attributes: The stage a candidate is currently in (system and custom stages), and the date on which they progressed to this stage.
- Job attributes: All attributes created in the Details of the respective job.
Overview of exported candidate, application, and stage attributes
The following items are system attributes. You can also add your custom attributes.
|Candidate's first and last name
|Date on which the candidate would be available to start
|Candidate's salary expectations
|Location where the candidate is based
|Last custom stage in which the candidates find themselves
|Final phase date
|Date on which candidates moved into the final stage
|Last candidate status (processing applies to all custom stages)
|Final status date
|Date on which candidates were assigned the status
|ID for the application
|Application date stored in the Profile tab of the candidate's profile
|Application disqualification reason
|Reason for disqualification (withdrawal or rejection reasons configured in Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Disqualification reasons)
|Application disqualification note
|Notes inserted manually when disqualifying a candidate (rejected or withdrew)
|Days in current phase
|Days for which the candidate has been in the current stage (at the time of export)
|Date when the candidate submitted a new application
|Date when the candidate entered the unassigned stage
|Date when the candidate was rejected
|Date when the candidate withdrew the application
|Date when the candidate was made an offer
|Date when the candidate accepted the offer or was hired
Overview of exported job attributes
|ID for the job
|Name of the job
|Initially applied for position
|Job the candidate applied for initially
|Position creation date
|Date on which the job was created
|Position last time published
|Date the job was last published on the career page
|Category assigned to the job
|Position legal entity name
|(Sub)company assigned to the job
|Position department name
|Department assigned to the job
|Position office name
|Name of the office the job is assigned to
|Position employment type
|Employment type for the job (for example, permanent, freelance)
|Level of experience required for the job
|Position years of experience
|Level of experience required for the job in years
|Position work schedule
|Work schedule of the job (for example, full-time, part-time)
Create and prepare the export
- To create the application data export, go to the Recruiting section and select the Applications list.
- Click on Export to be taken to the export configuration options.
▶︎ File name: Give the export file a name of your choosing.
▶︎ Data columns: Select the data you want to incorporate into your export. The candidate ID is required and cannot be deselected.
▶︎ Start and end date: Define the period for which you wish to export data (can be a maximum of 12 months). Your selection will be applied to the reception date of an application.
- Next, click on Export to save the exported file to your computer.
Open the export
The export will be downloaded in .csv format. Follow the instructions below to open it with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
With Microsoft Excel
- Select your file and click right > Open with > Microsoft Excel.
- In Excel, select column A.
- Go to Data > Convert Text to Columns.
- Chose the Delimited option and click on Next.
- Select Comma, click on Next, and then click on Finish.
With Google Sheets
- Open a new spreadsheet.
- Go to File > Import > Upload and select your export file.
- In the pop-up window, under separator type, select Comma.
- Click on Import data.
You can use the application data export to create your own reports for a detailed analysis of your recruiting processes. Depending on your settings, you can extract valuable information in addition to the data contained in the Hiring speed system report. Analyze your time to respond or time to interview, evaluate reasons for rejecting candidates, and see trends in candidates' withdrawals.
Refer to the download section in the article's sidebar to find a sample data set and sample calculations for these types of analyses:
- Disqualification Reasons: Find out why your candidates are disqualified from the application process, depending on your configured Disqualification Reasons.
- Time to Screening: Find out how long it took new candidates to be progressed to the Screening stage.
- Channel Conversion: Find out which of your recruiting channels is most successful.
- Referral Success Rate: Find out what percentage of successful applications can be attributed to referrals.
These analyses are merely examples of how you can use the data export for your individual purposes, using the formulas provided as templates. However, you may need to adjust them to the columns you have selected for your data export.