This article explains how you can export important application data from Personio's Recruiting section in CSV format and then use it for your own analyses. You can also import the exported data into your internal data warehouse, for example. The export contains all of your candidates' system and custom attributes, the positions they applied for, and all data collected during the recruiting process (for example when candidates proceeded to the next phase of the application funnel).
To start the export, you need to have edit rights for the Recruiting section. You can assign these rights in Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights > Recruiting.
The application data export contains the following data:
- Candidate attributes: All system and custom attributes of candidates that have been configured in Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Attributes.
- Application attributes: Data on the application process (such as the application channel, application date, and disqualification reason).
- Phase attributes: The phase a candidate is currently in (system and custom phases), and the date on which they progressed to this phase.
- Position attributes: All attributes created in the Details of the respective position.
Overview of exported candidate, application, and phase attributes
The following items are system attributes. You can also add your custom attributes.
|Candidate ID||Candidate's ID|
|Candidate name||Candidate's first and last name|
|Email address||Email address|
|Available from||Date on which the candidate would be available to start|
|Expected salary||Candidate's salary expectations|
|Candidate location||Location where the candidate is based|
|Final phase||Last custom phase in which the candidates find themselves|
|Final phase date||Date on which candidates moved into the final phase|
|Final status||Last candidate status (processing applies to all custom phases)|
|Final status date||Date on which candidates were assigned the status|
|Phone number||Phone number|
|Application ID||ID for the application|
|Application date||Application date stored in the Profile tab of the candidate's profile|
|Application tags||Application tags|
|Application disqualification reason||Reason for disqualification (withdrawal or rejection reasons configured in Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Disqualification reasons)|
|Application disqualification note||Notes inserted manually when disqualifying a candidate (rejected or withdrew)|
|Days in current phase||Days for which the candidate has been in the current phase (at the time of export)|
|New application||Date when the candidate submitted a new application|
|Unassigned||Date when the candidate entered the unassigned phase|
|Rejected||Date when the candidate was rejected|
|Withdrawn||Date when the candidate withdrew the application|
|Offer||Date when the candidate was made an offer|
|Hired||Date when the candidate accepted the offer or was hired|
Overview of exported position attributes
|Position ID||ID for the position|
|Position name||Name of the position|
|Initially applied for position||Position the candidate applied for initially|
|Position creation date||Date on which the position was created|
|Position last time published||Date the position was last published on the career page|
|Position category||Category assigned to the position|
|Position subcompany name||(Sub)company assigned to the position|
|Position department name||Department assigned to the position|
|Position office name||Name of the office the position is assigned to|
|Position employment type||Employment type for the position (for example, permanent, freelance)|
|Position seniority||Level of experience required for the position|
|Position years of experience||Level of experience required for the position in years|
|Position work schedule||Work schedule of the position (for example, full-time, part-time)|
Create and prepare the export
- To create the application data export, go to the Recruiting section and select the Applications list.
- Click on Export to be taken to the export configuration options.
▶︎ File name: Give the export file a name of your choosing.
▶︎ Data columns: Select the data you want to incorporate into your export. The candidate ID is required and cannot be deselected.
▶︎ Start and end date: Define the period for which you wish to export data (can be a maximum of 12 months). Your selection will be applied to the reception date of an application.
- Next, click on Export to save the exported file to your computer.
Open the export
The export will be downloaded in .csv format. Follow the instructions below to open it with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
With Microsoft Excel
- Select your file and click right > Open with > Microsoft Excel.
- In Excel, select column A.
- Go to Data > Convert Text to Columns.
- Chose the Delimited option and click on Next.
- Select Comma, click on Next, and then click on Finish.
With Google Sheets
- Open a new spreadsheet.
- Go to File > Import > Upload and select your export file.
- In the pop-up window, under separator type, select Comma.
- Click on Import data.
You can use the application data export to create your own reports for a detailed analysis of your recruiting processes. Depending on your settings, you can extract valuable information in addition to the data contained in the Hiring speed system report. Analyze your time to respond or time to interview, evaluate reasons for rejecting candidates, and see trends in candidates' withdrawals.
Refer to the download section in the article's sidebar to find a sample data set and sample calculations for these types of analyses:
- Disqualification Reasons: Find out why your candidates are disqualified from the application process, depending on your configured Disqualification Reasons.
- Time to Screening: Find out how long it took new candidates to be progressed to the Screening phase.
- Channel Conversion: Find out which of your recruiting channels is most successful.
- Referral Success Rate: Find out what percentage of successful applications can be attributed to referrals.
These analyses are merely examples of how you can use the data export for your individual purposes, using the formulas provided as templates. However, you may need to adjust them to the columns you have selected for your data export.