The assignment of salaries to current as well as past employees can be carried out in Personio by means of a bulk Excel import. First, consider which employees in your company are paid on the basis of an hourly wage or a fixed salary.
Assignment of employees' salaries
- First, download the Excel template for hourly wages and monthly salaries (see right side-navigation).
- Enter the email address for each employee as well as either the currently valid gross monthly salary or the currently valid hourly wage in the table.
- For each employee, add the date from which the current salary is valid (usually the hire date or the last salary increase).
- Enter the weekly working hours for each employee.
- Save the completed Excel file.
Import of past salaries and working hours (optional)
If, in addition to the current salaries, past salaries and weekly working hours should also be imported into Personio, simply add additional entries for the respective employee in the Excel template and set the appropriate "Valid from date" in the past.
What should be considered?
- The salary for part-time employees must be expressed in the amount they receive (this is not calculated out of full-time (40 hours per week)).
- An employee can be assigned either an hourly wage or a fixed salary.
- Employees whose salary should not be imported (for example, former employees) may be omitted from the Excel template.
- When formatting the cells, make sure that salaries in the Excel template do not have more than two decimal places.
- Additional salary components and Performance-based bonuses can be set up separately for each employee.
Assignment of recurring salary components
You can also add additional monthly recurring compensations (for example “Surcharge Public Transport”). To do so, download the Excel template for recurring compensation and fill in all existing recurring compensations. Enter the compensation type, set the payout interval, and determine when the compensation is valid from.
Before you can import the Excel table, the additional salary components must first be stored in Personio. To do this, navigate to Employee profile > Salary and click Edit salary components. Under Recurring compensation, add your individual salary components. These are then automatically stored as new compensation types in Personio.
If you add an additional compensation (e.g. Christmas bonus), which is to be paid annually, select the interval "Yearly". Only if you select a compensation that is to be included annually in the salary, you also have to specify the month in which the compensation is paid out.
Both the monthly and the yearly compensation appear in the salary components of the employee and are taken into account accordingly.
Assignment of custom bonuses
You also have the option to assign custom bonuses. To do this, enter historical or future bonus payments into the Excel template for custom bonuses.
Before you import the excel template, you must create the custom bonus as a salary component for the employees. To do this, go to Salary in the employee profile and click on Edit. Then, by clicking Add bonus, you can select the custom bonus. Indicate when the bonus payment is valid from and which contractually agreed payout interval applies to the employee.
Import of salary data
After all preparations have been made, the salary data can be imported. The import process in person consists of three steps:
- Upload file: In your Personio account, under the Import section, upload the file. Select Salary history upload as the File type.
- Configure columns: In the next step, the columns of your Excel file must be assigned to the corresponding attributes stored in Personio. For this, it is useful if these are the same or at least similarly named.
- Preview of the import: The last step shows you a preview of the import. In the event that errors occur, you have the option to abort the import and to correct corresponding problems in the Excel table.
We are happy to help you import your data. Just a data check will save you a lot of work. Therefore, please contact our Service-Team here, if you are planning an import.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request