This article describes how you can set up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your mobile for the first time and what to do if you change your device.
If two-factor authentication is activated for an employee role, employees in this role need the authenticator app to log into Personio. The app generates a second key, which employees need to enter in addition to their password before they can access Personio. Learn more about how to enable 2-factor authentication.
We recommend using Google Authenticator for two-factor authentication, but you can use any other authenticator app.
Set up two-factor authentication for the first time
You need to follow these steps to successfully set up two-factor authentication:
- Download the authenticator app of your choice to your mobile device.
- Open the app.
- Open a browser on another device, go to Personio at companyname.personio.com/login, and log in with your email address and password.
A barcode will then be generated. In the app, select Scan barcode and point your mobile device camera at the barcode on the computer screen.
- A token will appear on the browser. Enter this token in the authenticator app.
This activates two-factor authentication on your device.
Switch mobile devices
If you switch mobile devices, follow the steps below:
- Download the authenticator app onto the new device.
- Contact an employee within your company who has administrator rights for your Personio account. They must then go to your profile, click on the three dots in the top-right corner, and select Manage account.
- The administrator can reset the authenticator there.
- You can then log into Personio at domainname.personio.de/login as usual, using your email address and password.
- A new barcode is generated after this initial login, which you have to scan with your mobile device.
- Once this is done, the new device is activated and can be used immediately.