This article explains how to create and configure long-term absences such as parental leave or sabbaticals.
Different rules apply to maternity leave, which you can find more details about here.
Schedule a Leave Period
- Go to the Employee profile and click the (...) button.
- Click Schedule leave.
To see this option, employees must have editing rights for the section where the Status attribute was allocated (Personal data, HR information…) through Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights.
- In the Schedule a leave period window, define the leave's period.
- Choose the relevant Absence Type from the dropdown menu. If you don’t, you will need to manually add the leave period to the Absence Timeline.
- Optionally, add a Comment.
- The employee's status will automatically change from Active to Leave.
If the status of an employee in an ongoing leave period is manually set back to Active through Employee profile > Personal info > HR information, the leave period and end date that appear in this section will be automatically adjusted. However, any leave period registered through Employee profile > Absence will still need to be adjusted manually.
- The leave, its duration, and the comment will appear in the employee profile, under HR information.
Add the Leave Period as an Absence
- Go to Employee profile > Absence.
- Click on Add absence period.
- Select the relevant absence type from the Absence menu and add the period. For example, we will set Parental leave.
- Set the absence type to appear in your calendar, as shown below for Parental leave.
You must first create the relevant absence type through the account setting to be able to select it through the Absence menu. You can find more information on the article Configuring absence types.
Add the Leave Period to the Payroll Export
- Set up the following columns to display in payroll as required: Leave starts, Leave ends, and Leave comment.
- Go to Settings > Salary & Payroll and edit the Payroll export attributes.
- Click on Save to complete the process.
- The attributes you selected will now be displayed in the payroll export.
Salary payments and other compensation types will be suspended for the leave period. If the start and/or end date of the leave occurs in the current month, they will be prorated.
Go to Settings > Payroll > Salary & Payroll.
Specify the type of prorated salary calculation you would like to use: Based on 30 days or Based on days of the month. You can find further information on prorated salary calculations here.
For each full calendar month (from the first to the last day of the month) of the leave period, the employee's leave entitlement will be automatically reduced.