This article explains how to create and configure long-term absences such as parental leave or sabbaticals.
Different rules apply to maternity leave, which you can find more details about here.
Schedule a Leave Period
- Go to the employee profile and click on the three dots icon in the upper-right corner.
- Select Schedule leave.
To see the Schedule leave option, employees need to be granted editing rights for the section where the Status attribute was allocated (Personal data, HR information…) through Settings > People > Employee Roles > Access rights.
- Enter the Begin of the leave.
- Optionally, add a Comment
- This will automatically change the employee's status from Active to Leave.
If the status of an employee in an ongoing leave period is manually set to Active through Employee profile > Personal info > HR information, Personio will automatically end the leave period and adjust the leave end date that appears in this section. However, the leave period registered through Employee profile > Absence will still need to be adjusted manually.
- The leave, its duration and the comment will appear in the employee profile under HR information.
While the leave period is now successfully scheduled and appearing in Employee profile > Personal info > HR information, the leave period will not automatically appear as an absence in the Absence Timeline.
You will therefore need to manually add the leave period to the calendar as an absence.
Add the Leave Period as an Absence
- Go to Employee profile > Absence.
- Click on Add absence period.
- Select the relevant absence type from the Absence menu and add the period.
- Set the absence type to appear in your calendar, as shown below for Parental leave.
You must first create the relevant absence type through the account setting to be able to select it through the Absence menu. You can find more information on the article Configuring absence types.
Add the Leave Period to the Payroll Export
- Set up the following columns to display in payroll as required: Leave starts, Leave ends, and Leave comment.
- Go to Settings > Salary & Payroll and edit the Payroll export attributes.
- Click on Save to complete the process.
- The attributes you selected will now be displayed in the payroll export.
Effects of the Leave Period
Salary payments and other compensation types will be suspended for the leave period. If the start and/or end date of the leave occurs in the current month, they will be prorated.
Go to Settings > Payroll > Salary & Payroll.
Specify the type of prorated salary calculation you would like to use: Based on 30 days or Based on days of the month. You can find further information on prorated salary calculations here.
For each full calendar month (from the first to the last day of the month) of the leave period, the employee's leave entitlement will be automatically reduced.