This is step 5 of 5 of the implementation module Attendances and Absences.
This article explains how to set up the Absence Calendar, accessible through the main navigation bar, and assign the appropriate access rights.
It is important to set up the Absence Calendar before creating employee roles. This is because you will later grant individual access to the calendar for every role defined under Settings > People > Employee Roles > Calendars.
What are the benefits?
Setting up the Absence Calendar allows you to:
- Decide which absences are displayed in the Out today widget on the Dashboard. This will ensure employees can see at a glance who is absent and when they will return.
- Display employee absences in the Absence Calendar (see image below).
- Ensure all or a subset of employees can see when their colleagues are absent without showing the specific type of absence. Optionally, you can configure roles to allow certain employees, such as supervisors or managers, to see the specific type of absence.
Define which absences appear in the calendar
You may define which absences appear in the Absence Calendar. The calendar will show these absences only as generic time off, without showing exactly what type of absence the employee is taking. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Work Hours & Absences > Absence Calendar.
- Check the boxes for the absence types that you want the calendar to display.
- Click Apply changes to save the changes.
If you want to show more detailed information, grant additional Absence Types rights as described in step 3 below.
When you create a new absence type, this doesn't appear in the Absence Calendar until you add it manually, following the steps above.
Grant your employees access to the Absence Calendar
By default, all employees have access to the Me view in the Absence Calendar. To allow employees to see additional employees' absences in the calendar, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings > People > Employee Roles.
- Select the relevant employee role, and go to the Calendar tab. For privacy reasons, we recommend that you give minimum Absence Calendar access rights to the All Employees role.
For each dropdown menu, select an access area. This determines which employees' absences display in the calendar for that specific role. The available sections are:
- iCal Subscription: Events to be exported into other calendar apps via an iCal link.
- Company Calendar (Absences): General absence information as set up in the previous section.
- Absence Types: More detailed absence information, including type of absence and unapproved absences. This section lists all the existing absence types.
- Click Apply changes.
Calendar access rights only affect the Absence Calendar, and not the Absence tabs of individual employees. The access rights set here may override view rights in the Access Rights tab.