This article focuses on the following topics:
- What an Upward Review is in Personio
- How to add an Upward Review to a Review Cycle
- Fill out and send Upward Reviews
- Edit Upward Reviews
- Track Upward Review progress
What is an Upward Review in Personio?
An Upward review is a review type that allows those who report to a supervisor to provide feedback for that supervisor. Upward reviews can be added to a performance review cycle using the Performance Review Cycle Builder in Personio.
After the launch of a review cycle, employees can provide an Upward review for their supervisor, which will be shared with their supervisor's supervisor, the Personio Administrator, and employees with edit rights in the Performance & Development area.
Upward reviews help you to ensure that you have a more balanced view of the performance of those in supervisory roles. This can be used to further develop their skills and improve their performance.
How to Add an Upward Review to a Performance Review Cycle
To add an Upward review when creating a review cycle, follow the steps below.
▶︎ To make a change to a previous step, click on Back at any time and make the required change.
▶︎ If, at any time, you wish to leave the configuration wizard before creating and launching a cycle, click on Save and close.
▶︎ To resume the setup, go to Performance & Development > Cycles and click on the name of the relevant review cycle.
- Go to Performance & Development > Cycles.
- Click on Create a new cycle.
- Under Step 3: Add review types, ensure that you select the Upward review checkbox.
- Under Step 4: Select forms, select the relevant form that you wish to assign to employees from the Upward review drop-down menu.
- Under Step 5: Set due dates, go to the Upward review field and enter how many days, weeks, or months after the launch of the review cycle the Upward review is due. Reminders will be sent to the reviewers one day before a review is due.
- Under Step 6: Preview and launch, check that the configuration of your review cycle is correct in the preview. If you are ready to launch the cycle, click on Launch review cycle.
- The Launch this review cycle? dialog displays stating that emails will be sent to all employees who need to provide Upward reviews. Click on Launch review cycle, to confirm.
Draft Upward reviews are created for all employees whose supervisors are included in the respective review cycle. Employees are notified via email that they need to complete the Upward review. They can access the newly created Upward reviews in Performance & Development > Feedback, under the To do tab.
Fill Out and Send Upward Review Forms
To fill out and send an Upward review, follow these steps:
- Go to Performance & Development > Feedback.
- Under the heading To do, click on the relevant Upward review.
- Enter the feedback into the relevant form fields. The feedback that you enter will automatically be saved.
- Click on Send review, or select Save for later to save it as draft and continue editing at a later stage.
- When you click on Send review, the Send this upward review? dialog will display stating that the Upward review will be sent to the Reviewee's supervisor and that it will no longer be possible to edit the content after the form is sent.
- Then click Send review.
Edit Upward Review Forms
Depending on the status of a review and the status of the review cycle, a review can be edited or not.
|Closed review cycle||After a review cycle has been closed, the status of Upward reviews changes to Locked, and it is not possible to edit Upward reviews anymore.|
|Upward review in draft||An Upward review that is still in draft can be edited at any time. See below how to edit an Upward review.|
|Sent Upward review||Once an Upward review has been sent, its status changes to Locked (not editable). Only Personio Administrators, employees with edit rights for the Performance section in the Performance & Development area, HR Managers, and Supervisors can Unlock the Upward review to allow editing.|
To edit an Upward review that has not been sent, or that has been unlocked, follow these steps:
- Go to Performance & Development > Feedback.
- Under the To do tab, click on the relevant Upward review.
- Make the necessary changes in the relevant form fields. Your changes will automatically be saved.
Track Upward Review Progress
Personio Administrators, employees with edit rights for the Performance section in the Performance & Development area, and supervisors can track the progress of Upward reviews.
Where a supervisor is included in a review cycle that includes Upward review(s), a counter is shown: for example, 0/10 submitted, where 0 is the number of Upward reviews submitted and 10 is the total number of a supervisor's direct reports.
If a supervisor in a review cycle that includes Upward review(s) does not have direct reports, the status None available is shown.