This article contains information for customers who are beta testing the first version of Absence Tracking in Hours in Personio – Absence Tracking in Hours (light). Thank you very much for participating in this test!
You can click on the Follow button on the top right to receive email notifications about the latest developments in regards to this beta.
Beta Test Phases
This beta test is expected to proceed as follows:
Start: v0.9 – The functionalities listed below are activated for your Personio account.
Various bug fixes
Absence History for Absence Types tracked in hours
View hourly Absence Period details in Absence Timeline
Absence Collections in Custom Reports
Custom Absence Type IDs for Custom Reports
v1.0: Absence Tracking in Hours with Basic Entitlement Rules
Scope of Beta Testing
Absence Tracking in Hours (light) – v0.9
The following functionalities are available in the current phase of this beta test:
- Admins / HR Managers:
- Create new absence types managed in hours (e.g., Doctor’s Appointments, Personal matters, etc)
- Set certain requirements for absence types managed in hours (e.g., document upload)
- Make absence types managed in hours available to employees via the Access rights section
- Configure calendar access rights for absence types managed in hours
- See own absences tracked in hours through the Absences tab *
- Request absences tracked in hours via Personio (web):
- Partial-day absences (e.g., a couple of hours over the course of a day)
- Full-day absences
- Multi-day absences
- See own and colleagues’ absences tracked in hours through the Absence timeline **
- Approvers (where applicable)
- Receive email notifications to review requests for absences tracked in hours
- See review requests for absences tracked in hours and action them accordingly
* Once an absence type tracked in hours has been created, employees need to be given at least viewing rights in order to see that absence type in the Absences tab within the employee profile. In order for them to request absences for this absence type, employees need to be given at least proposal rights. You can find more information regarding access rights in this article.
** Depending on the calendar access settings, employees will either see all absences from a particular type, absences of their own direct reports, absences of their own team/department/sub-company/office, or none at all.
Absence Tracking in Hours – v1.0
The following functionalities are planned to be added with the next major iteration:
- Create and configure basic absence policies for absence types tracked in hours
- Assign absence policies from absence types tracked in hours to employees
- Track employees’ balances for absence types tracked in hours
- Manage employees' balances for absence types tracked in hours
Create and set up an absence type tracked in hours
- Go to Settings > Absence, enter a name for the new absence type managed in hours and click on the "+" icon
- Select a calendar color for the absence type and also a category
- In the Unit of time option, select Hours rather than Days. Please note: The Unit of time option cannot be modified once the absence type has been successfully created.
- Define if employees need to upload a certificate when requesting this type of absence
- Define if employees currently substituting for someone can request this type of absence
- In the Validity Settings option, define how the effective duration of absences tracked in hours are calculated (including or excluding weekends and public holidays)
- Define if time tracked through the Attendance tab during this type of absence should be considered as working time and hence, overtime (if overtime is tracked for that employee).
- Click on Add absence type in order to save your settings.
Set access rights for the newly created absence type
- Go to Settings > Employee Roles and select the role All employees (or another role if you want to make the absence type available to specific employees) and click on Access rights in the header line.
- Expand the section Absence and set the checkmark to at least View and Own. This will allow employees with this role to see the newly created absence type, but they will not be able to submit requests independently. If you want the employees in the current role to also be able to request absences, you need to grant at least proposal rights by ticking both Propose and Own.
- Click on Save changes.
- Go to Settings > Approvals and select the newly created absence type in the header line.
- Click on Add approval step and define the approver. It can either be a specific employee, an employee with a specific role, the requester's supervisor, or the supervisor's supervisor. Additionally, you can create employee filters if applicable, and click on Save.
Book and approve absences tracked in hours
- Login as an employee without admin rights.
- Go to My Profile > Absence and click on the day in the calendar you want to request an absence of the newly created absence type tracked in hours.
- In the Absence type dropdown, choose the new absence type tracked in hours, set the start and end dates / times for the absence period you want to request and optionally add a comment.
- Click on Request an absence to submit the request and have it reviewed by the approver.
This beta test helps us learn what works better in regards to the "light" version of Absence Tracking in Hours. Thus, we strongly encourage you to share your feedback while you test the new feature.
Please use the feedback form below to share your findings and thoughts, so we can analyse it and take it into consideration when improving the feature. Feel free to use the form more than once.
Frequently Asked Questions
The unit of time used for absence tracking is set on the absence type level (Settings > Absence > Edit > Unit of time).
Currently it is not possible to change the unit of time once the new absence type has been created.
Currently it is not possible to request substitutes for absences tracked in hours.
Indeed, certificates can be set as a requirement for absences tracked in hours.
Indeed, you can define specific approval rules for absences tracked in hours.
Absences tracked in hours can either start and end within the same day, extend to the whole day, or span across multiple days – starting and ending with full or half days.
In all cases, the effective duration of absence requests tracked in hours is calculated based on its start and end date, and how it overlaps with the requesting employee’s working schedule. The validity settings of the absence type will determine if public holidays are to be considered as time off.
The absences form allows employees to enter a start and end time for hourly absences in intervals of 30 minutes. However, employees can also enter different start and end time manually – the minimum duration is 1 minute.
Currently absences tracked in hours can only be booked from the Personio web version.
While absences tracked in hours will use the format hh:mm, balances of absences tracked in days will continue to use dd,dd values.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request