The Personio Home Office Tracking solution provides a straightforward basic setup that is easy to implement and allows you to keep track of the hours worked by your employees from their home offices in accordance with legal requirements.
Complete the following eight steps in the sequence provided to set up Personio Home Office Tracking initially.
Step 1: Finalizing the Setup Wizard
First, finalize the setup wizard so you can get going with your account. You'll find a relevant note in Settings > Company. The setup wizard takes you through the three initial, basic steps for configuring your account. Settings made can be changed later on.
Once you finalize the setup wizard, all sample employee data is deleted so that you can get started with configuring your account. Please also make the following settings:
- Definition of authorized employees for support and instructions: Go to Settings > Support > Authorized employees for support and instructions to define up to two employees who will be authorized to request support. Also decide whether these employees will be authorized to issue instructions within the meaning of the EU GDPR.
- Access restriction to customer accounts: Personio employees do not have access to your account by default. You need to share your account temporarily to access support during the initial setup and allow Personio to review your account settings.
- Data processing agreement (DPA): Personio is required by law to conclude a DPA with you. In order to minimize administrative efforts on both sides, we provide the option of signing the DPA directly in Personio. You can only proceed with further setup steps once an authorized employee of your company has signed the DPA.
Step 2: Creating Employee Profiles
Employee profiles deliver the baseline data from which Personio records employees' absence periods and generates consistent data reports. Initial employee profiles can be quickly and easily created by importing the relevant data:
- Download our Excel import template.
- Read the worksheet with helpful information on completing the template in the import template.
- Next, fill the columns with your employee data. Each line represents one employee, and employees are uniquely identified by their email addresses. Required columns are highlighted in yellow. These must be populated.
- Save the completed Excel file.
- Import the data into Personio by by following the instructions provided here.
Please note that email addresses are defined as unique identifiers within the system. As a result, the system requires an email address to be entered for each employee.
Step 3: Configuring Public Holiday Calendars and Offices
Personio automatically generates a basic structure of your offices and departments when employee data is imported. Go to Settings to add information on your public holiday calendar, which is essential for ensuring that absences are recorded correctly.
- If required, set up individually customized public holiday calendars or use calendars already predefined under Settings > Public holidays in the next step.
- Go to Settings > Company to define your custom public holiday calendar. If you have different public holiday calendars for different offices, set these up accordingly in Settings > Offices. If no specific public holiday calendar is defined for an office, the company's default calendar applies.
Step 4: Configuring Work Schedules
Use work schedules to store information about the days of the week and daily hours worked by your employees in Personio. This forms an important baseline for ensuring that absence periods are calculated correctly: When sick leave or home office periods are recorded in Personio, the application only includes the days of the week that are identified as working days in the work schedule.
Create all work schedules applicable to your company in Settings > Attendance and assign each employee to the appropriate work schedule. Relevant instructions can be found here.
Step 5: Configuring Absence Types
The absence types "Home office," "Sick days" and "Sick child" are already predefined in your account's Settings > Absence. Check whether the predefined settings match your company's needs and make any adjustments if required. The following information provides a useful overview of the various settings options and their effects:
|Description & further information|
|Name||Is shown wherever the respective absence type is referenced (e.g. employee profile, calendar, reports, notifications, etc.)|
|Color||Visual representation in all Personio calendars|
|Absence Category||Define the absence category the absence you have created should be assigned to.|
|Enable half-day requests?||Are employees given the option of applying for half-day absences for this absence type?|
|Are certificates required?||Are employees required to submit a certificate for this absence type? If yes, from what number of consecutive absence days?|
|Require substitutes?||Should employees be able to select another employee as their substitute when they apply for the respective absence type? Click here for comprehensive information on this function.|
|Allow employees acting as substitutes to apply for this absence type?||Should employees who are currently acting as substitutes for another employee be able to apply for this absence type?|
|Valid on||Which days (of the week) should be included when tracking this absence type? Click here for comprehensive information on the validity function.|
|Should attendances be considered as overtime during absence periods?||Is the employee's absence functional in nature (if the employee is absent because they are sick, for example)? Click here for further information on how this setting works.|
|Enable accrual policies?||This function is not relevant for tracking home office work and sick leave.|
Step 6: Checking Access Rights and Approval Processes
Personio applies a sophisticated set of rules and roles to control the functions and views available to your employees. Your account is already set up so that you only need to make minimal adjustments before you can start using Personio.
The roles All employees and Administrator are already predefined in your account's Settings > Employee roles. The Administrator role is associated with universal rights in Personio and should therefore be used carefully. Check whether the role is assigned to all employees who are to be given administrator rights.
The All employees role applies to all active employees by default. It should therefore be set up with particular care. This role is preconfigured to allow your employees to use the following functions:
- Information in the employee profile: Employees have viewing rights for their own data; supervisors additionally have viewing rights for their subordinates' data.
- Attendance: Employees are able to enter attendance periods that need to be subsequently approved. Supervisors are additionally able to view their subordinates' attendance periods and propose changes.
- Absences: Employees are able to submit absence requests for "Home office," "Sick days" and "Sick child" absence types. These must be subsequently approved. Supervisors have additional access to the Absence tab in their subordinates' employee profiles and can propose changes.
- Absence calendar: Employees are not able to view information on other employees' absences in the global calendar. This is the recommended approach to employee privacy, as you only manage home office work and sick leave in your account. However, administrators are able to access this information in the calendar.
- Documents: Employees are able to upload absence certificates to their own profiles.
By default, your account is set up to require all attendance and absence requests to be approved before they are stored in the system. The predefined approval process is generally subject to the following logic: The respective supervisor must approve a request first, followed by an employee with an Administrator role. Adjust approval processes as required by going to Settings > Approvals, or create additional special approval processes for certain groups of employees.
Step 7: Inviting Employees to Personio
Congratulations! You have successfully set up Personio Home Office Tracking and are ready to invite your employees to Personio. The article on Finalizing Account Setup: Inviting Employees to Personio contains step-by-step explanations of how to do this. The article also contains links to further information that you may find helpful for rolling out Personio internally.
Step 8: Using Reports
Use the "Absence days" system report to analyze your employees' absence periods in just a few clicks. Define the period under review and apply filters to the report as required, e.g. the "Home office" absence type to analyze home office work periods only. Data can be exported in .xlsx format at any time.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request