If your employees would like to or are required to work from home, this can be managed in the Absences area of Personio. The following are our recommended steps for reflecting home office days in the system.
Company-wide home officing due to coronavirus? Visit our Personio Blog to learn how you can prepare your employees and which best practices exist to make remote work as effective as possible.
Setting Up Home Office as an Absence Type in Personio
Under Settings > Absences, use the plus button to add the absence type Home Office. Then configure the settings. See the screenshot below for our recommended settings:
More details on the configuration:
- Requests for half days: Determine whether or not you want to allow half-day requests.
- Substitute request: A substitute is not required for home office, as the employee is working as usual.
- Allow employees substituting for someone to request this absence: As home office doesn't have an impact on a possible substitution during leave absences, we recommend applying this setting.
- Validity settings: Select the standard work schedule for your company.
- Consider attendance days during absence periods as overtime: Because your employees have normal working hours and do not work overtime, this setting should be deactivated.
- Enable accrual policies: If your employees have a certain number of home office days available per year, you have the option to build and assign accruals.
Many companies currently fear that they will have to close their offices due to coronavirus and work entirely out of their home office. We, therefore, do not recommend building accruals for the home office absence type. This way, your employees can enter whatever time period in their Personio account they need.
Access Rights and Approval Processes
After you have configured the absence type, check the access rights of each employee role for Absences / Home Office. If you would like home office absences to be visible to the entire company, the role All employees should be assigned proposal rights at a minimum.
If, for example, a supervisor should confirm the home office request, you should also set up an approval process under Settings > Approvals > Home Office. Administrators can skip this part and enter absences directly for all employees.
Importing Home Office Periods for All Employees
If in the case of a prescribed home office period you would like to enter this absence type for all employees collectively, you can do this via a bulk import. Visit this Helpcenter article to find an import template along with detailed instructions.
Viewing Home Office in the Calendars
So that your employees can see which of their colleagues are working from home, we recommend that you activate the notification in the general absence calendar. You can do this under Settings > Calendar > Absences.
To enable your employees to be able to see whether their colleagues are indeed absent or in their home office, we recommend that you go to Settings > Employee roles > Calendar and assign global access for the absence type Home office to the All employees role.
Please do not choose the Home Office absence type in the aggregated absence calendar. Otherwise, Home Office cannot be distinguished from the other absence types.
Activating Calendar Integration
To synchronize absence periods that have been entered and confirmed in the system with your company calendar, we recommend activating the absences calendar. The home office days within the working hour schedules you have previously defined will then appear in each employee's calendar.
Read this article to find out which HR processes you can continue to manage in Personio with regard to the restrictions caused by COVID-19.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request