Personio allows employees to log working hours or request time off at any point. This includes when the person who usually approves their requests (often their supervisor) is unavailable due to paid vacation or sick leave. This feature is reserved for time-sensitive requests, like working hours or absence requests, that cannot wait for the approver to return. Other requests, like changes to employee data, are not included in approval delegations.
Ensure requests are managed during an approver's absence using one of the following options:
- Enable the "Delegate approvals" option to allow an approver's direct supervisor to receive and manage their requests while they're away.
- Create a temporary approver to allow an employee other than the approver's direct supervisor to manage their approval requests.
- Access the Automations area to handle the approval requests yourself, as an Administrator.
Employees added as substitutes during the absence period cannot receive approval delegations. This feature doesn't support "Employees with role" in the approval settings.
Enable the Delegate approvals option
Enable the "Delegate approvals" setting to automatically assign supervisors their direct report's approval responsibilities (for both absence and attendance) during their absence.
You can use the approval delegation feature if you:
- are actively tracking your employees' absences in Personio
- are actively tracking your employees' working time in Personio
- previously set up approval workflows through Settings > Workflows > Approvals
Follow these steps to ensure that the approver's supervisor receives the approval requests:
- Go to Settings > Approvals > [Absence type/ Attendance] and go to the Delegate approvals section.
- Enable the Enable Delegation checkbox, then click Save.
- The approvers' supervisors will receive any new approval requests via both the Time Tracking overview page and their Inbox, where they can confirm them or reject them. The delegated approval requests will only be displayed during the approver's absence. As soon as the approver is back, any unanswered delegated approval requests will disappear.
If the approver is currently absent due to remote work (has requested an absence type with the "Remote work" absence category), the approver's supervisors will not receive any approval requests. This type of absence is excluded from the "Delegate approvals" option.
Create a temporary approver
You can create a temporary approver for employees other than supervisors to automatically take over the approver's responsibilities (for both absence and attendance) during their absence.
The temporary approver will act as a substitute and will be able to approve the employee's approval requests while their main approver is on leave.
Follow these steps to ensure that a temporary approver can process a request:
- Go to Settings > Employee Roles > Members, and create and assign a custom employee role (for example, Substitute Approver) to the temporary approver.
- Go to Settings > Employee Roles > Access Rights and assign the appropriate access rights to the custom employee role, if applicable. For example, if the approval request is linked to time tracking, then you will need to grant the employee viewing rights to Attendance data. If the request is linked to time off, then you will need to grant the employee viewing rights to both Absence and Calendar.
- Go to Settings > Approvals to define the group of employees that will have the new temporary approver as their approver. Click on the relevant tab (Absence / [absence type], Attendance, etc.) and click Manage employee filters to create an employee filter that matches the supervisor's direct team (for example, the Customer Service team). Click on Add new ruleset to add the relevant approval steps using both the employee filter and the custom employee role.
If the temporary approver shall manage different types of requests (several absence types request, attendance requests, etc.), you will need to repeat this step in all the relevant tabs.
- The temporary approver will then be able to approve all the requests coming from the supervisor's direct team while the supervisor is absent.
For absence requests, we recommend that the supervisor selects the temporary approver as their substitute when requesting their absence through Employee profile > Absences. By doing so, the temporary approver will receive a substitution request and will be reminded about the upcoming absence requests that will require their attention.
- Once the supervisor is back, revert the changes. Navigate to Settings > Approvals, click on Manage employee filters and delete the employee filters that you created specifically for the temporary approver.
For more information on approval processes and managing substitutions, take a look at the articles Approval Processes and Reminders with Multiple Supervisors and Managing Absence Substitutes.
Manually approve requests as an Administrator
As an administrator, you can access an overview of all open approval requests, and process these requests from the Automations area. For example, you can act as an approver when a supervisor is absent or on leave. This not only applies to the administrator, but to any employee with editing rights to Attendance data or Absences.
This workaround should only be used for urgent cases to prevent the disruption of internal team workflows, arrangements, and responsibilities.
Approval requests that are pending for less than seven days display as an on track approval, and approval requests that are pending for more than seven days display as an overdue approval in the Approval requests widget.
Follow these steps to manually approve requests:
- Navigate to Automations > Approval requests.
- To view all open (on track and overdue) approval requests and see who is responsible for each approval request, click on View all approvals.
- On the Open Approval Requests page, click on the name of the employee who is responsible for approving the request listed under the To be approved by column.
- You will be taken to the Profile of the relevant employee. Click on Log in as this employee and approve the request manually.
For more information about the Automations area read this Help Center article.