This article focuses on workflows. You can start to create and monitor all yourworkflows from theWorkflow Hub.
In this article, we will explain how you can automatically request certificates for certain absences (e.g. sickness) and set up approval processes accordingly.
What are Approval Workflows for Sick Leave and Medical Certificates?
For certain absences like sick leave, it can be necessary to add a certificate after a certain number of absence days. In Personio, the upload of this certificate can be included in the approval workflow for an absence. If enabled in the absence, a certificate approval workflow is triggered parallel to an absence request. This takes place automatically once the set period after which a certificate is required, as defined in the settings, has passed. The workflow contains the same basic approval steps as the corresponding absence workflow.
Note that under the Documents tab, employees must have been assigned proposal rights. This is the only way to ensure that they can import their certificate.
Setting Up the Approval Workflow
1. Activating Certificates for Absences
- Navigate to settings > absence, select the absence type (e.g. sickness) and click on Edit.
- Select the checkbox for Certificate required? to activate certificates for this absence and enter after how many (sick) days a certificate should be requested.
Example: If you enter 3 absence days, the employee will be asked from the third day of absence (after day two, on the morning of the third day) to upload the certificate. Weekends are not included when these days are counted.
2. Creating the Approval Workflow
Once you have activated certificates for an absence, the information that a certificate approval workflow will now also be triggered parallel to the absence request is displayed under settings > approvals > absence/"absence type". This takes place automatically once the period after which a certificate is required, as defined in the settings, has passed. The process contains the same basic approval steps as the corresponding absence workflows.
You can create or adapt the approval workflows under settings > approvals. You have the option to create or update either the default approval workflow or a special ruleset.
- Find information on creating a default approval workflow in our article Creating Default Approval Workflows.
- Find information on creating a special rulesets in our article Configuring Rulesets for Approval Workflows.
Note that to trigger a medical certificate request, the absence has to be entered as one single absence period.