This article focuses on workflows. You can start to create and monitor all yourworkflows from the Workflow Hub.
In this article, you will learn how to set up a workflow in Personio so that your employees are automatically asked to upload a certificate when requesting certain absences (such as a medical certificate during a sick leave).
What is an approval workflow with a certificate request?
An approval workflow is a sequence of approval steps that need to be completed in sequence.
Approvals workflows are helpful for company processes such as requesting a sick leave, where it's often mandatory to upload a medical certificate after a certain number of absence days.
To include the certificate request in an existing approval workflow for an absence, follow the steps below.
For employees to be able to upload a certificate as part of a workflow, you need to grant them proposal rights to the Documents tab.
Set up the approval workflow with a certificate request
- Navigate to Settings > Work Hours and Absences > Absence, select the absence type (example: "Sick leave") and click on Edit.
- Go to Certificate & Substitute, click Certificate and enter after how many days a certificate should be requested.
Example: If you enter 3 absence days, the employee will be asked on the third day of absence (after day two, on the morning of the third day) to upload the certificate. Weekends are not included when these days are counted.
- Go to Settings > Workflows > Approvals > [Absence type] to set up the approval workflow. You have the option to create or update either the default approval workflow or a special ruleset.
- Once the employee has requested an absence and the period after which a certificate is required has passed, the certificate request will be automatically triggered (as long as the absence has been entered as a single absence period).
- The employee will then be able to upload the certificate at any time by clicking on the relevant absence period under Employee profile > Absence tab.
In the case of sick leave and medical certificate, if you are a Germany-based Personio customer, your employees with statutory or another (non-private) type of health insurance do not need to manually upload a medical certificate into Personio. A digital version of the certificate (eAU) gets automatically sent to the employees' health insurance, and you only need to retrieve them either manually or automatically (via de DATEV integration). If you have the DATEV integration enabled, you will be able to check the status of the employee's eAU certificate under the relevant absence period.