This article explains how to configure performance goals and how to add a key result.
What are Goals and Key Results in Personio?
Goals are the objectives that are set for an employee. A goal is composed of one or several key results.
Personio offers the following three key results types:
|Key Result Type||Definition||Example|
|Binary||Goal achieved or not achieved||Probation sales goal|
|Qualitative||Not directly measurable||Employee satisfaction|
|Quantitative||Directly measurable||Sales goals|
Configuring goals in Personio offers the following benefits:
- A record of monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly employee goals.
- Automatic calculation of flexible salary components based on agreed goals.
- Definition of any number of binary, qualitative and quantitative key results or quantitative key results.
Configure Performance Goals
Follow these steps to configure performance goals:
Create a Goal
- Go to the profile of the relevant employee for whom you wish to create a goal, and click on the tab Performance.
- In the section Goal, click Create new goal if there are no existing goals for the employee. If there are existing goals for the employee, click on View goals.
- Under Create new goal, enter a unique name for the goal into the Title field.
- From the Interval drop-down menu, select the interval for the assessment of the goal.
Note: If you want to combine the goal with a target-based bonus payment, you must choose the same interval for the goal and the bonus.
- From the drop-down menu with the chosen interval, select the relevant time frame for the goal.
- Then click Add.
You can then enable custom weights for key results, manage goal edit permissions and add a status for the new goal.
Enable Custom Weights for Key Results
Goals can be used to calculate bonus payments. If you want to choose how a bonus payment is distributed between different key results, select the Enable custom weights for Key Results checkbox. The calculation will be linked to the custom weight.
If you do not select the Enable custom weights for Key Results checkbox, the calculation will be based on an equal weighting of key results.
Manage Edit Permissions for Goals
If you want users who have edit rights to the Performance tab to be able to modify a goal, select the checkbox Allow other users to edit this goal. Any user with edit rights to the Performance tab will then be able to edit, add, and delete the key results within a goal. If this checkbox is deactivated, only the creator of a goal to be able to modify it.
Note Users without edit rights to the Performance tab will not be able to see or change this Manage edit permissions setting.
Add the Status of a Goal
To add the status of a goal, manually select the relevant status from the list of the available options in the Add Status drop-down menu. The available status options are:
- Not Started
- On Track
- Off Track
The status of a goal can then be tracked.
Add a Key Result
To add an existing key result, follow these steps:
- From the Add Key Result drop-down menu, select the relevant existing key result under Existing Key Result.
- Then click Add.
To add a new key result, follow these steps:
- From the Add Key Result drop-down menu, select Create New Key Result.
- Then select the type of key result.
- From the Please select a category type drop-down menu, select the key result category.
Note: This is for information purposes only.
- Then enter a unique name for the key result, and Enter a description of the goal to be achieved.
- Select the percentage of the key result that has been achieved.
- If you have enabled custom weights for key results, enter the contribution of the key result to the goal total using a percentage into the % field.
- Then click Submit.
Note Floating-point numbers must not be used when defining key results. For example, if you use the quote-to-close ratio with values between 0% and 100%, enter a goal value that is between 0 and 100 and not between 0 and 1. Values such as 0.25 or 0,25 are not permitted.
- You can learn more about how to manage performance goals and key results in Manage Performance Goals and Key Results.
- For more information on the Performance tab, see Performance Tab and Settings.
- Find out more about how to link a performance-based bonus to a performance goal.
- To learn more about creating custom reports for performance goals and key results, see Creating Custom Reports.