In order to send emails from Personio that show the company's own job email address as the sender, the company's SMTP server needs to be connected with the Personio mailbox. If required, you can configure email addresses for the main company and for each sub-company. Please see this article for more details.
Below you will find some valuable tips for setting up an SMTP link between Personio and some of the most commonly used email providers.
We suggest that you work with your internal IT department to configure the SMTP settings.
Personio supports the TLS and SSL encryption protocols and all ports. The prerequisite for a functioning SMTP link is that you have entered your connection details under Settings > Recruiting > General > Recruiting email settings > Use custom email address? Yes > Your domains > Use for sending emails? Yes > SMTP Settings. Your systems administrator or email provider will be able to provide the necessary connection details.
If your SMTP server only allows the sending of emails from certain documented IP addresses, you have the option of whitelisting our Recruiting IP addresses 22.214.171.124/32, 126.96.36.199/32 and 188.8.131.52/32 to ensure that the transmission runs smoothly.
To connect your Google email account with Personio, please use the following version:
Gmail SMTP server (smtp.gmail.com)
This option allows you to send emails to anyone within or outside of your domain. You need to sign in with your Gmail or G Suite account and associated password.
- Check that the user name was verified by the CAPTCHA security prompt that appears when you first sign in.
- Make sure your account password is secure.
- Keep in mind the sending limit in G Suite.
- Before setting up an SMTP connection with Personio, make sure that the account access by less secure apps is enabled for the desired account.
- 465 with SSL
- 587 with TLS
The following Google versions are not compatible with Personio:
- G Suite SMTP relay service (smtp-relay.gmail.com): This version is not compatible with Personio because it requires one or more static IP addresses.
- Restricted Gmail SMTP server (aspmx.l.google.com): This version is not compatible with Personio because messages can only be sent within Gmail.
In addition to these tips, you can find further information in the Google Help Center article Send email from a printer, scanner, or app.
Microsoft Office 365
To connect Office 365 with Personio via SMTP, please use the following version:
Client submission (smtp.office365.com)
This version supports the most usage scenarios and is the easiest to set up.
- Authentication: To be able to send emails on the device, you have to be able to configure a user name and password.
- Mailbox: You will need a licensed Office 365 mailbox that you can use to send emails.
- Port: The port you use must not be blocked in your network.
- Port 587 with TLS (recommended) or
- Port 25 with TLS (note: Some network firewalls or Internet service providers block ports; port 25 is often one of them)
The following Microsoft Office 365 versions are not compatible with Personio:
- Direct sending: Since Personio is a third-party email application, connecting with this version of Office is not supported.
- SMTP Relay: Since Personio is a third-party email application, connecting with this version of Office is not supported.
In addition to these tips, you can find further information in the Microsoft Help Center article: "How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365."
If you are using, for example, Microsoft Exchange Server, or other internally hosted options, the SMTP settings are varied and configured differently, depending on the SMTP server. Use the following points as a guide:
Make sure that your server supports the encryption protocol TLS as well as STARTTLS (sometimes, this setting has to be enabled separately)
- 25: is usually locked
- 2525: is usually not supported
For further information on setting up email communication, click here.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request