In order to send e-mails from Personio, which have the company's own job e-mail address as sender, the SMTP server must be connected to the Personio mailbox. More information about setting up the SMTP connection can be found here. Below are some useful tips for setting up an SMTP connection between Personio and the most commonly used email providers.
Personio generally supports the encryption protocols TLS and SSL as well as all ports. The prerequisite for a working SMTP connection is the entry of your connection data under Settings -> Recruiting -> Email -> SMTP. You can obtain the connection data from your system administrator or via your own e-mail provider.
To connect your own Google email account with Personio, please use the following Google version:
Gmail SMTP server (smtp.gmail.com):
This option allows you to send e-mails to all people inside or outside your domain. You will need to authenticate yourself with your Gmail or G Suite account and password.
- Make sure that the username you are using has been verified by the CAPTCHA security prompt that appears at the first login.
- Make sure that the account has a secure password.
Please note the shipping limit in G Suite.
- Before setting up an SMTP connection with Personio, make sure that account access is enabled by less secure apps for the desired account.
o 465 with SSL
o 587 with TLS
- No shared mailbox (groups)
The following Google versions are not suitable for Personio:
- G Suite SMTP relay service (smtp-relay.gmail.com):
- G Suite SMTP relay service (smtp-relay.gmail.com): This version is not compatible with Personio because one or more static IP addresses are required.
- Restricted Gmail SMTP server (aspmx.l.google.com):
- Restricted Gmail SMTP server (aspmx.l.google.com): This version is not compatible with Personio, since messages can only be sent within Gmail.
In addition to the tips provided, you'll find more information in the Google Help Center article "Use SMTP settings to send mail from a printer, scanner or app".
Microsoft Office 365
To link Office 365 with Personio via SMTP, please use the following version:
Client submission (smtp.office365.com):
This option supports most usage scenarios and is the easiest to set up.
- Mailbox: You need a licensed Office 365 mailbox where you can send e-mails.
- Port: The port used must not be blocked in your network.
o Port 587 with TLS (recommended) or
o Port 25 with TLS (Note: some network firewalls or ISPs block ports, especially port 25 is often affected)
For the following versions of Microsoft Office 365 we know that there may be problems with the setup:
- Direct Send: Since Personio is an application that sends e-mails as a third party, connecting to this Office version is not supported.
- SMTP Relay: Since Personio is an application that sends e-mails as a third party, connecting to this Office version is not supported.
Other (e.g. Microsoft exchange server or other in-house hosted options)
Depending on the SMTP server the SMTP settings are very varied and differently configured. The following points can be used as support:
- Make sure that your server supports the encryption protocol TLS and STARTTLS (some settings have to be activated explicitly).
- 25: normally locked
- 2525: normally not supported
In addition to the tips provided, you'll find more information in the Microsoft Help Center article: “How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365”
Can't find what you're looking for?
We are happy to help you! Just write us a message with your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a request