This article explains how to configure recruiting phases and categories to map your company’s specific recruiting processes in Personio.
Phases and categories allow you to create the right customized process for each position, covering everything from application receipt right up to hiring. This way, a working student can for example be hired faster than a full-time employee, who you may want to interview several times. First, think about which steps your candidates usually go through and then combine these as you wish for each category, e.g. the type of employment.
Under Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Phases, the phases Unassigned, Rejected, Withdrawn, Offer and Accepted are predefined by default. These recruiting phases cannot be edited because they trigger further processes in Personio.
|Predefined Recruiting Phase||Note|
|Unassigned||All candidates who have not been assigned to another phase will automatically be assigned to this one. Deleting a phase that contains candidates could, for example, trigger this categorization.|
|Rejected||All candidates you have rejected, for example because they are not suitable for the advertised position, will be assigned to this phase.|
|Withdrawn||All candidates who have withdrawn their application, for example because they are no longer interested in the advertised position, are assigned to this phase.|
|Offer||All candidates for whom you create (and send) an offer straight from Personio, are assigned to this phase. Learn more about Creating an Offer in Personio.|
|Accepted||All candidates who have accepted your offer are assigned to this phase and are automatically added to Personio as new hires. All the information specified in the Offer tab, as well as all documents, will automatically be transferred to the new employee profile. The employee profile continues to be linked to the candidate profile.|
Note Due to GDPR, you are legally required to remove personal data once the purpose for which the data was collected has been fulfilled. Go to Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > General to automatically anonymize candidate data for all candidates assigned to the Rejected or Withdrawn phase. Learn more about Anonymizing and Deleting Candidate Data.
In addition to the predefined phases, you can create any number of further phases that candidates will need to complete during the application process. This is how to create recruiting phases:
- Go to Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Phases.
- Insert the name of the phase in the text field, Add new recruiting phase and click on the plus symbol .
- Define the maximum number of days candidates should be permitted to remain in each phase. If a candidate exceeds this number, you will see their name flagged in the Applications list. You can also filter this list for candidates who have already been in a particular phase for too long. Learn more about Application List Functions.
- Drag and drop the phase to move it to the required position.
- For easier differentiation and a clearer structure, select a color for the phase.
Learn how to transfer candidates between phases.
Configuring Recruiting Categories
You can use recruiting categories to map different application processes, organize and display your open positions clearly, and send automatic receipt confirmations. Follow these steps to create a category:
- Go to Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Categories.
- Insert the name of the category in the text field Add new recruiting category and click on the plus symbol . You can for example create categories by employment type (e.g. full-time, part-time), seniority (e.g. Junior, Senior) or department (e.g. Marketing, IT).
- Click on Edit and add any number of Recruiting phases that are relevant for the particular category. You can adjust the order via drag-and-drop.
Note If you do not assign any phases to a category, all phases will be applied by default.
- Under Autoresponder, define whether candidates should receive an automatic receipt confirmation when applying via the online tool and/or when applying by email. Select any email template you have previously created as the Autoresponder template, and choose the email signature of an employee as the Signature for autoresponder. For more detailed information on email preferences in Personio, see our article Step 2: Set Up Candidate Communication Via Email.
- Click on Submit to complete the process.
You may want to create an additional category called candidate pool. Transfer any candidates into this category who you wish to consider for future positions.
How Recruiting Phases and Categories are displayed
After you have set up recruiting phases and categories, you will be able to get a clear overview of all the vacant positions in your company when you go to Recruiting > Positions. The positions are grouped by category, and you can see at a glance how many candidates are currently in each recruiting phase.
Find out more on Creating New Positions.