This is step 5 of 9 of the implementation module Recruiting.
Once you have created your career page, and set up your candidate communication, you can create positions in Personio and then promote them on your career page or on external channels such as job boards.
What are the benefits?
- Save time and increase consistency: Creating positions in Personio and then sharing this same information on different job boards saves time because you don't need to manually create the different postings. It also ensures that you always provide the same and consistent information in your postings.
- Increase the visibility of your positions: Automatically post positions on a variety of job boards for free, using Personio's auto-posting functionality.
- Analyze channel performance: Compare the performance of different channels within Personio to improve your position promotion strategy.
Step 1: Create a new position
Before you can publish a vacancy on your career page or promote it on external job boards, you need to create the position in Personio. The position is the basis for all recruiting activities in Personio.
To create a new position, follow these steps:
Navigate to Recruiting > Positions.
Click on Create position. In the Create new position dialog that displays, enter the title of the new position, select the desired start date and, optionally, add a note.
Click Next, and select the Category, Subcompany, Department, Office, Occupation, Employment type, and Experience from the corresponding drop-down menus. Then click Save.
All fields marked as Required have to be filled in before you can save the metadata. These fields are important to promote your position on job boards.
- On the position details page, under the Details tab, click on Add responsible to add the employee who is responsible for the position. Learn more about Position Details & Functions.
▶︎ Click on Position documents in the top-right corner of the position details page to add position documents.
▶︎ To edit the position metadata, click on Position actions and select Edit position metadata.
- Under the Description tab, click on Add a description to add a description of the position. You will be prompted to select the default language in which the description should be displayed on the Personio career page, and then to fill in the fields marked as Required.
- You can also add translations for your position descriptions. The language will only become available on the Personio career page if a translation was provided for all required position description fields. Learn more about Personio Career Page: Language Handling.
- If you prefer not to include all the job description fields in your posting, simply leave the fields blank that are not mandatory and that you don't require.
The About us section is added by default to every position. To edit this section, go to Settings > Recruiting > Recruiting > Career page > Translations.
To publish a position on the Personio career page, click on Publish.
If you delete the text from the position's Description tab, the status of the position will change to Draft, and it will no longer appear on your Personio career page.
Step 2: Promote a position
Personio provides different options to promote open positions. You can publish them on your Personio career page, advertise them on external job boards, and use tracking links for external recruiting channels. You also have access to an overview of all your postings and can track where applications come from.
Option 1: Publish positions on the Personio career page
You can publish positions on your Personio career page.
To do so, you need to:
- Configure your Personio career page and publish it. You should have done so in the previous step, Set up the Personio career page.
- Create a new position in Personio and publish it. The position will then be immediately published on your Personio career page under myaccount.jobs.personio.de.
To promote positions on your own corporate career page, you have different options (link, iframe, XML, API). Learn more about Options to connect your career page to Personio (Implementation).
Option 2: Publish positions on external job boards via multiposting
Once you have created a position in Personio, you can post the position on external job boards to attract candidates. To facilitate the easy posting of your vacancies across different job boards, we work with GoHiring, our partner for the promotion of positions. The multiposting feature offers a variety of free and premium job boards and posting types. Here you can find a list of all available job boards.
Personio multiposting offers the following benefits:
- Personio will transfer the data of your position to GoHiring, who forwards it to all the selected job boards without you having to manually create an external posting on each job board.
- Manage all position promotions in one place.
- Automatic tracking of positions and candidates.
With Personio multiposting, you have different options to book the position's external promotion:
- You can book boards separately depending on your needs.
- You can take advantage of the Personio Posting Bundles. These bundles are cost-saving promoting packages with specific amounts of postings on specific job boards that are tailored to your needs. Learn more about Personio Posting Bundles to promote positions via multiposting.
- If you already have contracts in place with external job boards, you can store these frame contracts in Personio and use them with the multiposting feature. Personio will then not calculate any further charges for the respective job board, and the billing for the postings will take place between you and the job board. Learn how to Store frame contracts with external job boards in Personio.
Learn how to use Personio multiposting to promote positions on external job boards.
Option 3: Publish positions on external job boards via auto-posting
Position auto-posting is a feature that you can activate on account-level, not on position-level. When auto-posting is activated for your account, every existing and new position that is published in Personio is automatically posted on a range of job boards for free. This enables your positions to achieve a wider reach, especially internationally, and automates the process of posting a position on a selection of platforms.
The free versions of LinkedIn and Indeed that are included in the auto-posting feature will not have the same reach as paid postings. Sponsored postings rank higher in keywords with postings from competitors, which is why organic postings can quickly lose visibility. Therefore, we still recommend using the paid promote feature to achieve the same results.
The following job boards can be selected for auto-posting:
- Indeed (all positions posted on Indeed are also posted automatically on Glassdoor, SimplyHired, and Resume.com)
Learn how to activate Position Auto-Posting.
Option 4: Promote without Personio – use tracking links
If you promote a position on an external job board outside Personio (without using Personio's Promote function), you can create a tracking link in Personio for the position, and store the link in the posting of the job board. The tracking links direct candidates to the Personio application form and allow you to track which channel the respective candidate used to access the posting. You can then use this information to analyze the Channel performance.
For further information and detailed instructions on how to set up new recruiting channels and how to create and use tracking links, see Using tracking links for external recruiting channels.
Check if everything is set up correctly in Quality check: Career page and positions before moving on to the next module.