This article explains how to adjust your employees’ leave balances.
There are two different ways that you can do this:
- Adjusting Absence Balances Manually
Follow these steps if you want to change a single employee's absence balance.
- Adjusting Absence Balances in Bulk (Import)
Follow these steps if you want to change several employees' absence balance.
Adjust Absence Balances Manually
The manual balance adjustment function is available for all absence types subject to accrual policies.
For employees to be able to manually adjust absence balances, you need to grant them either administrator rights, or editing rights for Account configuration > Absences.
To adjust absence balances manually, follow the next steps:
- Navigate to the Absence tab in the respective employee’s profile. Click on the absence type that needs to be updated, then select the option "Adjust balance".
Use the Set balance to a certain value data entry form to select whether you want to adjust the account balance to show a certain value on a specific balance date, or adjust the balance up or down by a certain number of days. The Adjustment date defines the date on which the change will be shown in the absence balance history.
The Comment field gives you the option of entering a note with information about the reason for the adjustment.
Choose the adjustment type.
The Set balance to a certain value option allows you to make an absolute adjustment. On the balance date, Personio will set the absence balance to the value you enter. Please note that the annual absence will be overwritten as a result, and the account overview will be reset to zero on the adjustment date.
The Adjust balance by number of days option allows you to make a relative adjustment. Personio increases or decreases the absence balance by the number of days entered, and the account overview is adjusted by this relative value. The account overview is preserved and is not reset to zero on the adjustment date.
- Setting the Absence Balance to a Certain Value
Example: An employee is to have 3 days of annual leave remaining on 31.12.2017
1. Select the desired Adjustment type and enter the new absence balance and adjustment date in the fields Set balance to and Adjustment date.
2. Add a note about the reason for the adjustment in the Comment field to ensure transparency.
3. Go to the employee profile and select the absence type Paid vacation. Click on the clock icon "See history" and you will see the manual adjustment as shown below:
The manual adjustment is shown in blue in the leave history. It overwrites annual entitlements from accrual policies. Adjustments can be deleted by clicking on the recycle bin icon.
Administrators can use Personio’s import function to set several employees’ absence balances to the same, specific value in a single operation. Click here for a detailed description of how to upload absence balances and to download the Excel template you need for importing this data.
It's not possible to do any manual adjustments for future dates.
- Adjusting the Absence Balance by a Number of Days
Example: An employee is to be granted 1 day of special leave.
1. Go to the employee profile and click on the required absence type. Click on the "Adjust balance" button.
2. Enter the number by which the absence balance is to be increased or decreased in the Adjust field.
3. Set the Adjustment date and add a note about the reason for the adjustment in the Comment field to ensure transparency as shown below.
4. Check the adjustment in the absence history.
A manual adjustment is shown in blue in the leave history. Adjustments can be deleted by clicking on the recycle bin icon.
- Setting the Absence Balance to a Certain Value
Adjust Absence Balances in Bulk (Import)
To adjust absence balances via the import function, follow the next steps:
- Download the Excel template available in this article's Downloads section. Alternatively, you can create your own template (supported formats: .xlsx, .csv, .xls), which will need to include the same four columns.
• Employee's email address; exactly as stored in Personio
• Absence type, exactly as stored in Personio (incl. case sensitive)
• Balance; in the format DD.MM or HH.MM depending on the unit of time set for the absence type.
• Balance Date, (optional); in the format DD.MM.YYYY.
- Fill out the Excel template with the information regarding your employee's absence balance.
- Go to Imports > Accrual balance upload and upload the Excel file.
- Assign the columns in your Excel file to the corresponding attributes stored in Personio. Make sure they have similar names.
- Review the preview of the import and click on Import if everything is correct.
Be aware that if you adjust the absence balance by importing in bulk, you won’t be able to choose the adjustment type. The balance will be automatically set to a certain value.